Sunday, October 05, 2008

Critters in the fall

The critters have gotton so big! Thats what they are supposed to do of course :)
The goat and cow are enjoying the bales of hay I've been buying.
We are getting ready for a big shift. The cow goes to butcher on Thursday. We didnt buy a calf this year so we wont have a cow all winter. This will be a lovely thing. The goat will move to the cows pasture and shelter. Thats ALOT more room for him. The cow did a number on the fencing, however, so I will have to do some repair work before I can move him. I will HAVE to get him a lady friend ASAP or he will be terribly lonely.

The ducks are a favorite for everyone. They are just too cute waddling all over. We still havent finished filling their tractor tire pond. Water is always so stressed over here. Unless I do it myself a bucket at a time- I dont think it will ever get done. The ducks are just here for cute factor. We ordered 3 girls and a boy but thought we had gotton 4 girls. But, yesterday I really got looking at them and found that we actually have 2 boys and 2 girls. :) They are free to go where they will so they are all over eating slugs and all that slimes. They have gotton good at holding their own against the chickens. We are hoping for babies in the spring.

The turkeys are huge! We've got 2 hens and a tom. The hens are always smaller. They will be with us till the end of November-ish. Depending on what we do for Thanksgiving, one of the hens may be for that dinner. The other and he tom will be in the freezer. After the cow goes they will move into the goats pasture so they can finish on grass. Good stuff! I am proud to say that I cook up one ugly but darn good bird!

No comments: