Saturday, July 01, 2006

Step Families

Ohhhhh the joy of step families!
Well they are what they are. A mashing together of numberous different minds with their varied baggage. Jody calls us- Marbles in a can.
When I met Jody through the Faith I was still married to my two older girls' father. Jody had been divorced a year. Jody and I were acquaintances for a yr or so and after my marriage split I looked him up. It was another year until our wedding day. You can tell how much I love Jody. He was a single dad of 4- that's right four- full time kids. I was twenty six and had been a mom for all of 5 yrs. Combined we had kids aged 15, 13, 10, 6, 5 & 3. Two years later we added an "ours" to the 'yours and mine' senerio. We spent several years running kids to and from various visitations and juggling the needs of angry teens and cuddly school agers. We are 9 yrs into it and now have just 4 kids at home. Things are a lot calmer though we still experience big bumps.
Knowing what I know now...would I do it all over. No way! I would just kid nap Jody and run far away! Would I recommend doing the blended thing? Never! Its a hard road and I am not sure there is any winning in the end. All I can say is that I figure if 4 out of 7 of them come back for Thanksgiving when their grown- then we did alright. We'll have to see how that all turns out. In the mean time, we keep doing our best.
This picture was taken two yrs ago when the oldest came home for a visit.

1 comment:

Bete said...

HI! I´m bahá´í from Brazil.
I love your blog.Is very especial.
My name is Bete, I´m teacher bahá´í children class. (I´m sorry ,bat my inglish is bad.)
kiss all family!
Happy Ayyám-i-Há