Saturday, July 01, 2006

Home-steading- Cows


The Cow

Now- on the day I brought home a whole cow we knew we had crossed a line. :) You can call yourself whatever you want when you own a handful of chickens, a rabbit or two and even a few goats but....when you are carrying an 80lb calf across your back yard you are definitely a crazy old homesteader!
that's what I did last spring. I went to a local large animal auction and bought a critter that looked healthy enough to my untrained eye. Cost me $38. Brought him home and set him down. Then I ended up carrying him across the yard! Then I learned the art of bottle feeding a snot nosed cow. Wow. Took a few days of being slimed from top to bottom and socked in the eye with a wet nose that felt like a jello fist I got the hang of it. We still have that critter a yr later. He's about 600lbs now. I have learned to casterate and run electric fencing thanks to him. About two weeks ago we repeated the pattern. So right now we have a big ol cow and a cute little calf.
I think the cows are the easiest thing next to chickens believe it or now. They don't ask for much and they are quiet and smell ok too. The best part is that for $0.32 a pound for processing they will fill or freezer with grass fed beef. Pretty cool!

No comments: