Monday, July 24, 2006

The Baha'i Faith


The Baha'i Faith

Our Family is Baha'i. I converted to Baha'i 12 yrs ago. I was raised going to Methodist and Presbyterian churches. Though we went to church pretty regularly throughout my junior high and high school yrs we didn't practice much at home. It was just something we did on Sunday. All the while however, I had this amazing friend, Lauretta. She was being raised Baha'i in a huge family. All of her friends were Baha'i. Through the many yrs of hanging out with Rett I got a healthy dose of the Faith. Even with these forces in play, when I was 19 ish I would confidently say that I didn't believe in God. It was after the birth of my first daughter and a separation from her father that knocked me on my butt that caused me to question my beliefs. I began looking around for the 'right' answers. I started visiting churches on Sundays. I figured Christianity had to be the 'right' choice. After all there was a church literally on every corner in my town. I did this for about two yrs. I settled into an Episcopal church as they had provided 'moms day out' gatherings each month. So- it was one Sunday morning in the middle of services there that I stood up in worship along with the crowd and was bopped on the head with the realization that I was a Baha'i! Yep. That's how it happened. I went home and called my dear friend, Rett, and asked "how do I become a Baha'i ?" She about fell out of her chair! :)

As a result of this conversion, I met my current husband. He was brought to the Faith through his first wife and had long been a Baha'i. He was also the only other Baha'i in my town. So we met and the rest is history.

After all these yrs I still love the Faith. I have had my ups and downs spiritually. The reason the Faith is so dear to me is because of its drive for Unity. Unity of all the world's religions, unity of the human race, unity of the sexes. You don't have to hate anyone to be a Baha'i. Its ok to love. You don't have to be perfect either. As my husband says- to become a Baha'i doest mean you have reached a destination (perfection) but rather that you agree to get in the car and go for the ride.

In this months Mother Earth News there was a large add for the Baha'i Faith. Here is the official site for the United States. www.us.bahai.org its worth checking out.

3 comments:

GWD said...

I love your blog! I've excerpted from it for my blog, Baha'i Views.

Bonita said...

I was reading georgewesley's blog, and hopped over here to see what you've got in the pantry, the garden, and in the barn. Scanning down, you have the life I always hoped to have, but I had to get rid of the goats, chickens, and rabbits (city ordnances). Good luck on the farm, and enjoy blogging.....

Vayda said...

HI MOMMY!!!!!!!! I know u r right here 2 rooms away but I thought it would be cool to leave a comment. I love ur blog its awesome.

Love u, love ur stamps.
Da Daughter, V