Saturday, July 01, 2006

Home-steading- Rabbits

Rabbits


Rabbits! I love rabbits. We have 5 does and a buck and varied #s of babies at any given time. I think they are a delight to watch. The kids and I built our rabbit/ hen houses and run. We have soggy land so the plan was to get them up off the ground. We created the building from recycled barn wood and economy 2x4s. Cheap. One of the pics show the project half done and one shows the buildings painted barn red.
We have had mixed luck with the rabbits. We have managed to put many in the freezer. We do like the meat but feel that its not much different than chicken. From what I can figure its a lot cheaper to raise a broiler sized chicken and they are a lot sturdier too. We may keep a few of the does for decoration and entertainment but I think I am rethinking these critters.
Just too cute to eat anyway.

No comments: