Monday, July 24, 2006

Home-steading- Canning

Canning
Canning is a great thing! This image is not my root cellar but its my dream cellar :) I started canning 3 yrs ago and what a mess I made. lol. The next yr I managed to create some eatable jam. This year I am rockin!
So for this season I have put up...
30 pints of zucchini relish- my aunt Helen turned me on to this delight- we planted the zuc last yr .
55 pints of navy beans, black eyed peas and black beans- I buy them dry and make them up all at once. I know I could just make them as I need them but I am too much of an impulse cook for that. They work out to about 15 cents per pint.
52 pints of jam- strawberry and blue berry from U-pick farms and rasberry from the produce auction in PenYan. They work out to about $1.45 per pint. I pay about $3.29 for a comparable product at a local market so that's a deal.
69 qts of salt potatoes. These were from the auction. I way over paid but they worked out to .75 cents per quart anyway. Not too bad.
36 Quarts of chicken soup using our old laying hens.
24 Quarts of collards. I find that no one around here eats collards. Guess its more of a southern food. I learned to like collards from an African American catering group out of Ithaca. I use them hidden in chili & sauce. They are a good source of leafy greens and they grow great here.
48 pints of tomato soup. My goal is actually 100 or more. We can eat a lot of this yummy stuff. This year with Maya Rae being home schooled I figure we are gonna be looking at a lot of soup for lunch around here. She thinks that's a great idea. I am getting the tomatoes from our garden.
If and when I finish the soup I will be moving on to 52 quarts of spaghetti sauce, some pizza sauce and a little catsup. By that time I should be able to lay my mits on some free apples and get moving on apple sauce and apple rings....maybe a little juice. And...if there is any spunk left in me I want to make some half pint jars of rice pudding for Jody.

No comments: