Sunday, December 07, 2008

The Solar System

Maya is beginning a unit study on the Solar System.
To get rolling we built a model. She painted all the balls first then on Fri she labeled
tags to hang from the planets. I managed to super glue the glue top to my thumb. Maya thought this was very entertaining!
We both learned that to remove this item from my body I needed to soak my thumb in nail polish remover. Geesh!
At one point during the building I left Maya alone for a moment. When I came back into the room she was sitting and looking very thoughtful. I asked what was up and she said, "I feel so SMALL! I always thought the earth was the biggest thing ever but now I know we are sooooo tiny!!!!" "I just feel so smaaaaaallll !!!!"
WOW! That was amazing to me! I mean a person can always look up the names of the planets if they never manage to memorise them. But~ you just cannot TEACH self realisation and your place in the universe! Awesome!

Maya was delighted with this project and has a million questions about the solar system that she is dying to have answered. This will be a fun study.
By the way....mommy is relearning all this stuff too.

No comments: