Saturday, December 20, 2008

Look whos gone veggy!

After 5 yrs of homesteading....growing turkeys, cows, chickens, rabbits, and goats- I have had a change of life. I am a vegitarian!
Vayda has been a vegitarian for over a year now so I have been accomidating her choice. I see now that taking this step is very personal and profound and everyone comes at it differently and for different reasons. For me, I think I was able to be very in touch with my meat source and through one sad event saw all that I believed and was forced to come to terms with it.
Strangely enough, a few years ago read a book called "Back to the land". It was an account of the real hippies or 'back to the landers'. The author details how so many of the real homesteaders of that time where in direct contact with their meat source and in so doing ended up as vegitarians.
So, as I often find, my choice is not so unique. I guess this is just part of my journey.
Its been about 6 weeks since I made this commitment and I feel great. Nice side effect :)
And, I actually crave veggies!?!?!?! Whats that about!?!?
(so sorry to say I did not draw this picture- found it on the web)

No comments: