Friday, January 06, 2012

Living Room Fluff

After our trip to Virgina I felt compelled to fluff our living room. We live frugally and most everything we own is second hand. I am totally cool with that but over time things begin to look shabby. We have a hand me down set of furniture in the living room. It it green plaid...so NOT my thing these days!..... and its getting a little beaten down. I got really frustrated with it because though the set still has some life in it, its not what I WANT. Well I dont have $600+ to spend on a new set so I set out to do what I do best.
 I got creative and fluffed on the cheap!
Above- I bought a bunch of used pillows at the Salvation Army. I brought them home, washed them and recovered them. In all they cost about $4 each. I have seen lesser quality throw pillows on Etsy for $15-$20 each.
 I bought a few yards of new red fleece and made those no-sew throws where you just tie the ends together. Easy and cheap.
 I rearranged varied objects I had that were red like a little throw pillow the munchkin made, a red prayer bear my mother gave to me and zen cards (put under the glass on my recycled coffee table), a scrap of pretty apolstry fabric (put under a photo fram by the lamp), red candles and red covered books. I moved an area rug downstairs from one of the spare bedrooms.
 We had an old but favorite quilty blanket that lived in the living room before. This was a handed down hand me down. Really old, really ratty, really tattered but like I said, really favored. I cut that into large sections. Using the best of the blanket I made 2x2 floor pillows. They cost me $8 each for the giant bags of polly fill.

The kids and the critters love the floor pillows in front of the wood stove.
In the end I was/ am very pleased with the fluff job. The only thing I bought was some new fabric and a few big bags of polly fill. In all I spent around $45.

No comments: