Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Biking to Watkins Glen

So- mid week Jody came up with a little plan.
Lets bike to Watkins Glen and camp for the weekend.
Sounded fun and easy enough so we went for it. Of course, first I had to spend an arm and a leg and buy every single piece of camping gear a person would need....like a tent for example.... because we owned none. I did that. Jody spent an entire evening rebuilding me a bike. My old gray bike was just not cutting it anymore so he took bike we had lying around and swapped tires, added new grips, a giant grandma seat, a speedometer etc to make it all new and shiny for me. This bike is great. Its gears are better and its comfy. I like it.
So here we are all packed up with our gear on a trailer and us all suited up feeling enthusiastic :)This is us 6 miles up the road. I chilled in the shade while Jody made a few adjustments to the trailer arm. There was about 100 lbs of stuff to drag.
We took a nice long lunch break in Lodi, looking over a vineyard out to Seneca Lake.
This aint a pretty picture :( This is me looking like hell after climbing some seemingly endless hills. I was on the edge of tears and felt just how I looked. 10 miles in.
This was really pretty so we stopped to look. There are some incredible views down that way.
The trip was 32 miles long and took 8 hrs. Of course we took numerous breaks and I took forever coming up the hills. We stopped for pizza in the evening and that took some time. Plus at the end we spent an hr and a half climbing to the top of Watkins Glen park while pushing our bikes. That was torture!!! We are talking 3 giant, steep hills that went up and up and up. If you dont count that final torture the biking was fine. 32 miles is alot but not undoable.
I found that I felt just fine the next day. Not too achy at all.

No comments: