Monday, May 25, 2009

Bikin in NYC with Jody

Lately I have been just crazy running here and there and as a result Jody and I have had very little time together. So, last weekend Jody and I took a Swarthout Coach to New York City.
The reason we went to was to bike along the Hudson River. Because Jody drives for Swarthout on the weekends he often takes this route while waiting for the passengers to return to the bus.
Dorky pic.The bus parked along 52nd street- ish. We biked along the water till we got to the George Washington Bridge and the "Little Red Light House".
Jody saw this light house when he was in nursery school and has spoken of it often over the years. Its not all that little but in comparison to the bridge its itty bitty.
Heres the history of the light house. I think if you click on the image you should be able to
read it.
On our way down the river I saw this fruit stand. When we were ready or lunch we came back here. It didnt look like much from the outside but when we chained out bikes and stepped inside it was a huge store tucked under a bridge. It was cool. That was one thing that I noticed about the city...how every little noock and cranny was used for something or another.We got our wraps, fruit and chips and sat the waters edge. As we munched, we watched every vehicle imaginable pass by us. Planes, ships, boats, cars, trucks, trains, motorcycles, bikes, scooters, skates, strollers, ETC ETC ETC!
It was relentlessly noisy but fun to watch.Potty stop. The play grounds were full of children and the restrooms were from the 40s I think. I could see why people would love it in the city (though its not my thang). You can see the generations of tradition in every structure.In all we biked 13 miles.
After the ride we put our bikes back under the bus and got changed.
We walked for a while with no real goal and ended up in the middle of a block party. It was all food, food, food and a few vendors selling 'stuff'. Just the amount of people kept me interested.

We walked until we reached Central Park. I was very sick of walking when I saw a row of bike rickshaws. Jody and I hired a nice guy named Mike to drive us around the park.Now this is the way to travel!!!
As he drove us around, Mike gave us a tour. "This is this- that is that" etc. It was cool. I had no idea how little I knew about this park. Honestly I didnt understand what the big ol deal was with Central Park. "So big deal its a bunch of grass in the middle of a city"..... OOOHHHHH- NOOOOWWW I get it!!!! Its freakin amazing. Really beautiful! So much to see. So much going on. LOVELY!!!After an hour long ride we were done. That was great time. You could come to NYC and spend an entire day just exploring Central Park. Who knew !?!
After our ride we went to look for an Indian restaurant. Before we found one we came across this Cuban place. Good enough. Nice little place. We ate like pigs. We were sooooo hungry! Good stuff. Then we jumped back on the bus and 6 hrs later we were in Ithaca, then home.
Good times!

No comments: