Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Web site closed down

Well its a new era- thats for certain!
When 9/11 happened I was in my 4th year of day care in my home. On that very day I realised life was too short to be tortured and miserable so I gave notice and quit on the following
January 1.
Shortly after that I opened my rubber stamp company. At the time it was called "Brilliant Stars Stamps and Stuff". After several months of learning how to build a web site with images that would open and make fliers and how to make stamps...I renamed it "Norton Designs". I met a nice older man in Ithaca who kindly taught me how to make rubber stamps. He sold me a vulcaniser and hooked me up with all of his suppliers.
I spent that year just learning and learning. After a fun weekend of selling at a rubber stamp expo my friend, Heather, joined me in the business and we called it, "Pretty In Ink". My step daughter, Lynde, came up with that name. I rebuilt the web site in all pink and green and came up with a great logo.
Over the years I made 1000's of custom stamps, sold 1000's of stamps on Ebay, created my own line over 2000 art stamps using my own art. I spent 100's of hours (for real) building and rebuilding my web site. The site always got rave reviews! It was pretty and girly, easy to navigate and had 100's of card samples. About 3 yrs ago I realised yet another part of the dream and opened a physical store front in my home. That was great fun!
Though the business was a lot of fun it was also an immense amount of work! Most of my work hours have been after my kids go to sleep at 9 pm and go on till 3 or 4 am. Then its up to home-school the kids. This Thanksgiving weekend I woke up and knew it was "a new era". I didn't know why. I just knew it was. (you can read more about what came of that on my body blog... http://bodyenlightenment.blogspot.com ) So- several weeks ago I finally got the guts to say I was done with the business. It took a lot of emotional strength to say 'I didn't have a money making job'. I took the big step and disconnected my web site. 100's...even a 1000 + hrs of work all deleted! Wow! What an enormous step.
I have to say it was freakin AWESOME!!!! What a load off! I took these pictures of the site to remember it by. I learned so much over the years doing it. I suppose that is what led me to be the owner of 4 blogs huh? ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Carrie,
I just got through looking at many pictures on your blog page, you amaze me with all you do and your big family all look so happy. You are such an inspiration even to an old gal like me. I am Linda Sutterby Ring's mom, Mary Sutterby. I think you are one fantastic artist too and your kids are so talented, love the chickens on and in the bathtub and in the house, rabbit and rat "scarf", well I have enjoyed it all.
Mary Sutterby