Sunday, October 10, 2010

Crazy for Kefir

With all the digestive malfunctions I had this summer I got reading about healthier nutrition.
We are already organic vegetarians but there is always room for improvement on these things.
I started drinking Kefir from Wegmans. I loved it so I went looking for a way to make my own.

The magic of YouTube led me to Kefir grains. These grains are actually gooey cultures. You just put the cultures in a jar, cover with milk and let it sit...and ferment....for a day or two. Ta da!
Its kefir! Its like a drinkable yogurt with a kick. Its loaded with probiotics so its
really good for ya!
You can see the fermentation bubbles here.
I drain the kefir & put the grains back in the jar to start again. I put the kefir (liquid) into the blender with 2 ripe bananas (per half gallon) and some raw honey.
mmmmmm!
You can buy kefir grains online (get milk grains not water grains) or get them on your local Freecycle. I got mine from my Aunt Judy's sister. Thanks Roxanne!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, i am also crazy for kefir. I have just discovered water kefir which is soooo good. Do you know anything about the alcohol content in these drinks? I want to give it to my baby, do you think it is ok? Thanks for help, Jane.