Sunday, October 10, 2010

Canning

This seasons canning has added up to a lot less than I had wished. However, because the tomato crop was so good I did get a lot of tomato products done. The first was spaghetti sauce. This turned out pretty good. Too loose though. Not a biggy. I just add a little can of tomato paste when I cook it.
Then of course there is salsa. Didn't have to do a ton of this. It turned out really great this year. The produce was super fresh and I made a point to limit the amount of liquid in each jar so its got a great consistency.

Pizza sauce. This was a first. It made a lot more than I expected.
I made it a little too spicy but its good.
The ketchup was really easy and its yummy. Just made several half pints. We don't need that much. Will never be able to buy the super market junk ketchup again.
Of course the season started off with jam. I did strawberry, rasberry, staw/rhu, rhu/pinapple and we had some left over grape jelly from last fall. I gave a good bit away to the grown kids. I want to do that every year.
Pickled beets for Jody.
A lot of what I did was a first time this year so its been a little hit and miss. Everything sealed well and tastes good so we will enjoy it. I am still hoping to put up some potatoes and applesauce before I call it quits for the year.

No comments: