Sunday, August 05, 2007

Hummin for Hummus!

Yummy Hummus!!!!
This weekend we made Hummus! Lots and lots of hummus. 61 half pints to be exact.

Here is Elanee grinding up garlic and Maya Rae blending all the ingredients together.

This is the chick pea mush.

This is the Tahini (Sesame seed + olive oil mush)


This is lil ol me loading the hot hummus into a 1/2 pint jar. It stinks when its hot. PU.

Here are some loaded jars.

This is Ms. Elanee posing with the coveted hummus :)

Ok- Hummus at Wegmans costs about $3.95ish. At that price we would have paid $241 for 61 containers. I bought all the stuff needed to make this at Sauders.....chick peas, sesame seeds, olive oil, lemon juice. I bought the garlic from the local farm stand. I spent $27!!! Thats just $0.44 each jar. I saved $214!




3 comments:

Bobbisox said...

Carrie, thanks for showing your hummus canning project with the girls. I am on one of your yahoo groups, home canning, and it is nice to see your little industry going in that kitchen. When you go to use the hummus down the road, do you add other stuff to liven it up, or just keep it as is? I had never heard of canning hummus and even my hubby who is living across the country while he is in Navy school is making his on a daily basis; he is cobbling some Thai hummus together as his class loved it, as I type this.

Franella said...

Carrie, I stumbled across your blog while looking for ideas on canning hummus! Would you be willing to share the recipe or at least the amount of pressure and timing? And any cautions? I just made my first batch of tahini, then hummus today, and we love it, but it is a lot! Also, I used canned garbanzo beans. Do they freeze ok, or can I can them? On our homestead, I like to keep the freezers more availible for meats and such, and can what ever will work.
Thanks, and you have a great blog!
Fran

AKmamaOf7 said...

Just made about 6 quarts of hummus, so I was happy to find your blog. I have always frozen it before, but wanted to try canning since I already have the canner out from doing beans earlier today. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Do you find that it looses flavor in the processing?